Essay Writing Coach
I can help you craft a clear, concise, and well-written essay. Whether you're working on college applications, a school paper, or a piece for a blog, I can be of help.
I help students to craft narratives that bring their applications to life. Although I work with students at any stage in the writing process, I employ an overarching framework that outlines both the integral components of a successful essay and the skills required to produce one. That being said, the process is by no means fixed or linear. Constructing a concise yet compelling vignette of oneself in 500 words is necessarily a fluid, iterative, and messy endeavor. When approached in the right way, though, it can also be a highly rewarding project. The most successful essays are those that students enjoy rereading as they would a letter from a childhood friend.
If starting from scratch, I will work with students to:
- Select a theme that complements the rest of his/her/their application
- Dive deep into personal experiences—allowing relevant thoughts and feelings to surface
- Sift through lived complexity, pare down content, and find the shape of the piece
- Adjust diction in order to align narrative register with the intended message
Throughout the process students will learn to:
- Select and frame compelling themes
- Formulate appropriate narrative registers
- Navigate scale (i.e. move seamlessly from micro-details to macro-themes)
- Polish diction holistically
Training & Qualifications
I graduated Summa Cum Laude / Phi Beta Kappa from Yale, and my college essays received handwritten praise from Harvard, Yale, Princeton, and Stanford. I developed my writing skills under the personal guidance of, among others:
- A former senior editor of the Harvard Business Review, the Wall Street Journal Europe, and TIME magazine
- An admissions officer for Yale College and the Rhodes Scholarship
- An editor for the Los Angeles Review of Books
- The director of Yale’s Comparative Literature department
I have lived and worked in Japan, China, Denmark, and Haiti, and I am proficient (to some degree) in eight languages. Most recently, I worked as a consultant for the Copenhagen-based business strategy firm, ReD Associates. ReD draws methods and theoretical frameworks from the human sciences in order to provide businesses with profound cultural insights.