Essay Writing Coach
I can help you craft a clear, concise, and well-written essay. Whether you're working on college applications, a school paper, or a piece for a blog, I can be of help.
I help students to craft narratives that bring their applications to life. Although I work with students at any stage in the writing process, I employ an overarching framework that outlines both the integral components of a successful essay and the skills required to produce one. That being said, the process is by no means fixed or linear. Constructing a concise yet compelling vignette of oneself in 500 words is necessarily a fluid, iterative, and messy endeavor. When approached in the right way, though, it can also be a highly rewarding project. The most successful essays are those that students enjoy rereading as they would a letter from a childhood friend.
If starting from scratch, I will work with students to:
- Select a theme that complements the rest of his/her/their application
- Dive deep into personal experiences—allowing relevant thoughts and feelings to surface
- Sift through lived complexity, pare down content, and find the shape of the piece
- Adjust diction in order to align narrative register with the intended message
Throughout the process students will learn to:
- Select and frame compelling themes
- Formulate appropriate narrative registers
- Navigate scale (i.e. move seamlessly from micro-details to macro-themes)
- Polish diction holistically
Training & Qualifications
I graduated Summa Cum Laude / Phi Beta Kappa from Yale, and my college essays received handwritten praise from Harvard, Yale, Princeton, and Stanford. I developed my writing skills under the personal guidance of, among others:
- A former senior editor of the Harvard Business Review, the Wall Street Journal Europe, and TIME magazine
- An admissions officer for Yale College and the Rhodes Scholarship
- An editor for the Los Angeles Review of Books
- The director of Yale’s Comparative Literature department
I have lived and worked in Japan, China, Denmark, and Haiti, and I am proficient (to some degree) in eight languages. Most recently, I worked as a consultant for the Copenhagen-based business strategy firm, ReD Associates. ReD draws methods and theoretical frameworks from the human sciences in order to provide businesses with profound cultural insights.
Reviews of Luke
About Luke Forrester
Yale grad, cultural anthropologist, writer, activist, independent researcher, complete language nerd! :)Open to other proposals
Luke Forrester is looking for: