Introduction to Environmental Art
A 45-minute presentation and informal discussion about environmental art/eco art, including:
- the different forms of environmental art + visual examples of them. This includes land art, 'waste' art, and social practices.
- a short history, context and the motivations behind environmental art and where it fits in with other art styles.
- the relevance of these art forms in our contemporary world, economy and modern industries.
- links and book names for further reading.
Whether you're already an artist, looking to becoming an artist, or are simply interested, this introduction is a great glimpse into the wide and exciting field of environmental art. It gives you a good spring board from which to keep exploring and learning - whether from me or from other sources.
I offer this online as a one-on-one session, or in-person to a group of 3 or more people.
Training & Qualifications
I am a visual artist who has since 2009 worked as independent artist and project coordinator. I have participated in various projects, arts residencies and art exhibitions with a focus on environmental awareness, ecology or conservation. Some of these include:
- the 2012 Green Art exhibition at the Cape Town International Convention Centre, entitled '(eco)nversations'.
- the second International Site_Specific Land Art Biennale in Plettenberg Bay, South Africa.
- the Global Nomadic Art Project by the YATOO Nature Art organisation.
My art practice involves spending time outdoors, creating land art, creating art from waste, responding to my environment through different mediums and materials, and creating art, design & illustration to educate and inspire others about our ecosystems, other species, and our gift as custodians of this planet. I also facilitate workshops in land art, mixed media art, upcycling and (re)connecting to your senses.
Availability & Preferences
I'm flexible, but mostly Thursdays are my workshop/tutoring/teaching days. Timezone: GMT +8